lost half shore power

flredneck

Hi, I am new to this form. I have an 2015 Road Worrier toy hauler. We had a real bad storm Saturday and the power surged. After it was all over with I only have half power when plug into shore power. If running the generator I have full power. I have this camper hooked up at my house for my son to live in. I put in a new 50amp breaker and ran the line to an outdoor plug-in. the power at the breaker and plug-in is fine. I tested the power cord from the plug-in to the camper plug-in. the cord has full power, but when plugged into the camper I only have half power inside. what do I need to check and where do I need to look. Any information will be appreciated. Thank you

Bogie

Very possible the problem is with the transfer switch that transfers power between shore power and the generator.

Dahillbilly

transfer switch, look in the basement behind the rear wall for a box with lines from generator & shore power then one to the main electrical panel. Remove all power, remove cover to switch & check the connections

Roller4tan

Check the main breaker connections in the trailer and the trailer end of the power cord. Possible burnt or open wire. Unplugged of course.

wdk450

Did you turn the inside mains breakers (dual 50 amp) off then on again? You can pretty easily access the inside mains breakers feed wires by removing the breaker panel outer shield, then you can probe the incoming wires connected to this breaker with your DVM. The inside breakers snap onto 2 distribution buss bars that the other branch circuit breakers are connected to. These buss connections from the mains (and branch) breakers have been known to fry some. First try would be to remove all power and tip the mains breakers up to the disconnect point like you are replacing them, to inspect the buss contact surfaces. If nothing else. checking out the mains breakers voltages and contacts is a more easily accessible "divide and conquer" then crawling into the storage compartment to check the transfer switch.

david-steph2018

Hi, I am new to this form. I have an 2015 Road Worrier toy hauler. We had a real bad storm Saturday and the power surged. After it was all over with I only have half power when plug into shore power. If running the generator I have full power. I have this camper hooked up at my house for my son to live in. I put in a new 50amp breaker and ran the line to an outdoor plug-in. the power at the breaker and plug-in is fine. I tested the power cord from the plug-in to the camper plug-in. the cord has full power, but when plugged into the camper I only have half power inside. what do I need to check and where do I need to look. Any information will be appreciated. Thank you
It is probably the transfer switch. But to troubleshoot, start where you know the power is working correctly and chase the power. Good power from the power source. Go to the end of the extension cord, good power, if you have a cord reel check it. If good, chase the power, next is the transfer switch.
Troubleshooting is a systemic approach to problem solving, being new, jumping around will confuse you.
During this you also will learn a little about your rig.

flredneck

Thank you for the information. I replaced the transfer switch and now have full power only problem now my converter isn't charging the batteries. Is there a reset for the converter or do I need to replace it as well? Thank you again for the help

wdk450

Make sure the converter is SECURELY plugged into the AC outlet in the crawl area. Maybe you dislodged it from the outlet while servicing the transfer switch.
Many reports of plug coming loose from the outlet during road travel vibrations.

Bogie

Check the fuse near the battery (see pic below). Some can be reset.

If that checks out okay, most converters have their own fuses. You will have to get eyes on the converter itself to to see them. They are typically accessible on the side of the converter.

Fuse.png