12v power issue - new battery

bazeven

2021 Sundance 294BH - battery ran down over the winter so I purchased a new 12v Deep Cycle Battery and installed it. MultiMeter shows the new battery at 12.4V. When I pull the battery disconnect switch (bottom right on the pic below) nothing in the RV comes on. I've traced the red wire from the battery through both circuit breakers on the frame and I have 12.4v through both. The front jack does not work nor the leveling jacks. Nothing comes on. Per the owners manual, there should be a bus bar, but on this model they have two auto resetting circuit breakers (confirmed I have power going through both) installed on the frame. From both frame circuit breakers, the red wires disappear up into the floor. Any next troubleshooting tips? It worked last fall and the camper hasn't moved. Please help me get this going so we can go out this weekend and enjoy our camper!! Thank you!

the b901.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just throwing a few ideas around.
12.4 volts is a nearly dead battery.
Try plugging in to shore power or charging the battery.
You said nothing come on, does that include the 12 volt cabin lights.?
Battery cables correct polarity and tight?
Check the neutral wire to the neutral buss.
Others may have more ideas for you but this is a start.

Peace
Dave

Dahillbilly

any power to any fuses inside, using a voltmeter see if one side at the fuse holder has voltage. If not then check the wiring hopefully no rodent has chewed the wiring!!

taskswap

I'm confused??? If you pull the battery disconnect switch, wouldn't that kill battery power?
No, I've had that style of switch in other campers. It's pull-on / push-off. I suppose it's a safety feature to make it really easy to turn off even in the dark (or in smoke) but it's REALLY annoying if the manufacturer puts it too low to the floor like in my last TravelLite truck camper. :)

12.4 isn't "nearly dead" for a lead acid, which sounds like what you installed. If you verified the voltage where you said you did you should be getting at least some LEDs lit there. Pull the panel itself and verify voltage to the back of it. Perhaps you missed a cable or inline fuse when you replaced your battery. Also make sure there isn't a battery disconnect elsewhere, like somewhere near the battery box or frame rail (perhaps inside the front storage bay).

jerryjay11

No, I've had that style of switch in other campers. It's pull-on / push-off. I suppose it's a safety feature to make it really easy to turn off even in the dark (or in smoke) but it's REALLY annoying if the manufacturer puts it too low to the floor like in my last TravelLite truck camper. :)

12.4 isn't "nearly dead" for a lead acid, which sounds like what you installed. If you verified the voltage where you said you did you should be getting at least some LEDs lit there. Pull the panel itself and verify voltage to the back of it. Perhaps you missed a cable or inline fuse when you replaced your battery. Also make sure there isn't a battery disconnect elsewhere, like somewhere near the battery box or frame rail (perhaps inside the front storage bay).
Okay on the pull. The power issue could be that switch itself.

bazeven

Thank you for all the recommendations. It ended up being not only a broken ground bolt to the frame (inside a junction box) but also a bad negative battery cable. It is now working!! Thank you - time to go camping!!